Can the UK really thrive outside the EU ?
1. It’s true, we really do have the world’s fifth largest economy, according to the UN, the IMF, The World Bank and the CIA). All four countries with larger GDPs have very much larger populations..
2. On the World stage the UK occupies a unique position : We have a permanent seat on the Security Council, the G7, the G10 and the G20. We are also the leading country in the Commonwealth which dwarfs the EU with 2.4 billion citizens, GDP of over US$ 10 Trillion and a rapidly growing economy.
3. The UK has one of the five most formidable Diplomatic Services in the World. Absolutely no need of the EU’s fledgling “External Action Service.”
4. The British military has the 5th greatest combined conventional fire power of any nation. Behind only the US, Russia, China and India. Even the smallest of those countries, Russia, has a population double that of the UK.
5. Finally, on the basis of current population, the UK is within the top 10% of countries. (The UK is the 21st most populous state out of 233.)
Should we really fear making our own way in the World ?
[Sources: UN, IMF, World Bank, CIA World Handbook, Globalfirepower.com, Geohive.com. ]